Saturday, November 26, 2011

Welcome to India's Higher Education system . God Bless You!!!

I'll start this post with an introduction of me and my educational background.

I have been taking an Under-Graduate Course in Computer Science and Engineering(in short B.Tech CSE) in a reputed Private Engineering in India for one and half years.My college has given me 7.5 grades till now. I would rate them 5/10. I wanted to give them 2 or 3 but  presence of Infrastructure and some encouraging professors saved them.
Every day when I go to college I expect to learn something new that would encourage me for research and thinking. And after coming back to my hostel room, I do have something new that make me thinking. But mind you its not because of the college or their intensive study program that I'm paying high fees for; but it is the Internet, the articles at Hacker News and Reddit and other sites that does this. Whenever I get time I tend to open these sites on my not so good Nokia touchscreen phone. It doesn't have much of features that i can boost of but it does my work. That is the state of our private Universities.

Well I agree with my college friends that most of the students that come to private universities don't want education but a degree, a campus life and guys they can hook up with. They have their contacts and their Dad's business after that. Most of the students that come here want spoon feeding. Tell them what is important and coming in exam and they will cram it, cram it so much they can recite it word to word. But still it doesn't mean professors also does spoon feeding for them and come here for high salaries, comfort and increasing their teaching experience so that later on can go to some Top Government College.
 One of my professor's slogan is "Our main aim is to cover the syllabus in time."

The course he teaches is some thing like Applied ______. But he has not told us one applied thing of his course in one year. Just those theoretical concepts.

Welcome to India's Higher education(private) system. What I thank them is at-least they have computers in their computer lab with a decent Internet connection. I can at-least do some of my interest findings and learning there. I'm doing Stanford's Intro to Database currently. And have done MIT's Into to Computers previously. But there is limitation too - You have to have 75% attendance in every course. Or you'll be debarred from exams. No re-consideration. So you have to be time management expert to be able to do something good.

Sometimes I think of what Steve Jobs said in his speech to Stanford in 2005. Is the money that parents providing for my education going in the right direction. Should I consider dropping off and start learning myself. But still my family(typical Indian middle class family) too wants a Bachelors Degree from. So here I'm still doing Under-graduate Course from a Reputed Private University.


For me there is lot to learn to be a good software developer. And I'm certain that whatever the condition is I'm going to do something good with my life.

Have a discussion on Hacker News